Author Question: After teaching a client who has been diagnosed with hepatitis A, the nurse assesses the client's ... (Read 41 times)

student77

After teaching a client who has been diagnosed with hepatitis A, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement by the client indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. Some medications have been known to cause hepatitis A.
  b. I may have been exposed when we ate shrimp last weekend.
  c. I was infected with hepatitis A through a recent blood transfusion.
  d. My infection with Epstein-Barr virus can co-infect me with hepatitis A.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client who is recovering from a paracentesis 1 hour ago. Which assessment finding requires action by the nurse?

a. Urine output via indwelling urinary catheter is 20 mL/hr
  b. Blood pressure increases from 110/58 to 120/62 mm Hg
  c. Respiratory rate decreases from 18 to 14 breaths/min
  d. A decrease in the client's weight by 6 kg

sultana.d

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The route of acquisition of hepatitis A infection is through close personal contact or ingestion of contaminated water or shellfish. Hepatitis A is not transmitted through medications, blood transfusions, or Epstein-Barr virus. Toxic and drug-induced hepatitis is caused from exposure to hepatotoxins, but this is not a form of hepatitis A. Hepatitis B can be spread through blood transfusions. Epstein-Barr virus causes a secondary infection that is not associated with hepatitis A.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Rapid removal of ascetic fluid causes decreased abdominal pressure, which can contribute to hypovolemia. This can be manifested by a decrease in urine output to below 30 mL/hr. A slight increase in systolic blood pressure is insignificant. A decrease in respiratory rate indicates that breathing has been made easier by the procedure. The nurse would expect the client's weight to drop as fluid is removed. Six kilograms is less than 3 pounds and is expected.