This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse cares for a client who has food poisoning resulting from a Clostridium botulinum infection. ... (Read 94 times)

cmoore54

A nurse cares for a client who has food poisoning resulting from a Clostridium botulinum infection. Which assessment should the nurse complete first?

a. Heart rate and rhythm
  b. Bowel sounds
  c. Urinary output
  d. Respiratory rate

Question 2

A nurse cares for a client with a new ileostomy. The client states, I don't think my friends will accept me with this ostomy. How should the nurse respond?

a. Your friends will be happy that you are alive.
  b. Tell me more about your concerns.
  c. A therapist can help you resolve your concerns.
  d. With time you will accept your new body.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Animal_Goddess

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Severe infection with C. botulinum can lead to respiratory failure, so assessments of oxygen saturation and respiratory rate are of high priority for clients with suspected C. botulinum infection. The other assessments may be completed after the respiratory system has been assessed.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Social anxiety and apprehension are common in clients with a new ileostomy. The nurse should encourage the client to discuss concerns. The nurse should not minimize the client's concerns or provide false reassurance.

Did you know?

In Eastern Europe and Russia, interferon is administered intranasally in varied doses for the common cold and influenza. It is claimed that this treatment can lower the risk of infection by as much as 60–70%.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

Oxytocin is recommended only for pregnancies that have a medical reason for inducing labor (such as eclampsia) and is not recommended for elective procedures or for making the birthing process more convenient.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

One way to reduce acid reflux is to lose two or three pounds. Most people lose weight in the belly area first when they increase exercise, meaning that heartburn can be reduced quickly by this method.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library