This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client has thrombocytopenia. What client statement indicates the client understands ... (Read 22 times)

Awilson837

A client has thrombocytopenia. What client statement indicates the client understands self-management of this condition?

a. I brush and use dental floss every day.
  b. I chew hard candy for my dry mouth.
  c. I usually put ice on bumps or bruises.
  d. Nonslip socks are best when I walk.

Question 2

A client hospitalized with sickle cell crisis frequently asks for opioid pain medications, often shortly after receiving a dose. The nurses on the unit believe the client is drug seeking. When the client requests pain medication,

what action by the nurse is best?
  a.
  Give the client pain medication if it is time for another dose.
  b.
  Instruct the client not to request pain medication too early.
  c.
  Request the provider leave a prescription for a placebo.
  d.
  Tell the client it is too early to have more pain medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kilada

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The client should be taught to apply ice to areas of minor trauma. Flossing is not recommended. Hard foods should be avoided. The client should wear well-fitting shoes when ambulating.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Clients with sickle cell crisis often have severe pain that is managed with up to 48 hours of IV opioid analgesics. Even if the client is addicted and drug seeking, he or she is still in extreme pain. If the client can receive another dose of medication, the nurse should provide it. The other options are judgmental and do not address the client's pain. Giving placebos is unethical.

Awilson837

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library