Author Question: An adolescent diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM) is prescribed dietary restrictions and ... (Read 10 times)

Davideckstein7

An adolescent diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM) is prescribed dietary restrictions and daily insulin injections. Which behavior does the nurse anticipate from the adolescent upon return to school?

1. Administering medication in front of peers
  2. Teaching peers about the diagnosis
  3. Acknowledging the condition to classmates
  4. Exhibiting poor adherence to the prescribed treatment plan

Question 2

The nurse is conducting an educational program for parents of children with chronic conditions. Which parental statement indicates the need for further instruction?

1. I know my child will get better and not have to take any more medication.
  2. I know my child will need assistance with activities of daily living.
  3. I know my child may need specialized education.
  4. I know my child will have to stay on a special diet.

Briannahope

Answer to Question 1

Explanation:
1. Most adolescents do not want to be seen as different by their peers; therefore, it is unlikely that the adolescent will administer the prescribed insulin in front of the peer group.
2. Most adolescents do not want to be seen as different by their peers; therefore, it is unlikely that the adolescent will teach his or her peers about the disease process.
3. Adolescents will attempt to hide their health conditions from their classmates.
4. Adolescents have poorer eating habits than all other age groups, and adolescents with diabetes may not adhere to necessary dietary restrictions.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation:
1. Chronic conditions might require lifetime dependence on medication.
2. Children with chronic conditions typically need assistance with daily living activities.
3. A child with a chronic condition may require specialized education.
4. Depending on the diagnosis, children with chronic conditions might require a special diet.