This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement by a newly delivered woman indicates that she knows what to expect about her ... (Read 72 times)

jCorn1234

Which statement by a newly delivered woman indicates that she knows what to expect about her menstrual activity after childbirth?

a. My first menstrual cycle will be lighter than normal and then will get heavier every month thereafter.
  b. My first menstrual cycle will be heavier than normal and will return to my prepregnant volume within three or four cycles.
  c. I will not have a menstrual cycle for 6 months after childbirth.
  d. My first menstrual cycle will be heavier than normal and then will be light for several months after.

Question 2

Two days ago a woman gave birth to a full-term infant. Last night she awakened several times to urinate and noted that her gown and bedding were wet from profuse diaphoresis.

One mechanism for the diaphoresis and diuresis that this woman is experiencing during the early postpartum period is:
  a. Elevated temperature caused by postpartum infection.
  b. Increased basal metabolic rate after giving birth.
  c. Loss of increased blood volume associated with pregnancy.
  d. Increased venous pressure in the lower extremities.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bhavsar

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
My first menstrual cycle will be heavier than normal and will return to my prepregnant volume within three or four cycles is an accurate statement and indicates her understanding of her expected menstrual activity. She can expect her first menstrual cycle to be heavier than normal (which occurs by 3 months after childbirth), and the volume of her subsequent cycles will return to prepregnant levels within three or four cycles.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Within 12 hours of birth women begin to lose the excess tissue fluid that has accumulated during pregnancy. One mechanism for reducing these retained fluids is the profuse diaphoresis that often occurs, especially at night, for the first 2 or 3 days after childbirth. Postpartal diuresis is another mechanism by which the body rids itself of excess fluid.
An elevated temperature would cause chills and may cause dehydration, not diaphoresis and diuresis. Diaphoresis and diuresis sometimes are referred to as reversal of the water metabolism of pregnancy, not as the basal metabolic rate. Postpartal diuresis may be caused by the removal of increased venous pressure in the lower extremities.

jCorn1234

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

abro1885

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library