This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which maternalchild patient should the nurse see first? 1. Blood type O, Rh-negative 2. Indirect ... (Read 81 times)

Mimi

Which maternalchild patient should the nurse see first?

1. Blood type O, Rh-negative
  2. Indirect Coombs' test negative
  3. Direct Coombs' test positive
  4. Blood type B, Rh-positive

Question 2

The patient with blood type A, Rh-negative delivered yesterday. Her infant is blood type AB, Rh-positive. Which statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

1. I need to get RhoGAM so I don't have problems with my next pregnancy.
  2. Because my baby is Rh-positive, I don't need RhoGAM.
  3. If my baby had the same blood type I do, it might cause complications.
  4. Before my next pregnancy, I will need to have a RhoGAM shot.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: This patient is Rh-negative, but there is no indication that the alloimmunization has occurred.
Rationale 2: An indirect Coombs' test looks for Rh antibodies in the maternal serum; a negative result indicates the patient has not been alloimmunized.
Rationale 3: A direct Coombs' test looks for Rh antibodies in the fetal blood circulation. A positive result indicates that that there is an Rh incompatibility between mother and infant, and the baby is making anti-Rh antibodies, which in turn leads to hemolysis. This infant is at risk for anemia and hyperbilirubinemia.
Rationale 4: This patient's blood type creates no problems.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM) to prevent alloimmunization, which could cause fetal anemia and other complications during the next pregnancy.
Rationale 2: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM) to prevent alloimmunization.
Rationale 3: It is specifically the Rh factor that causes complications; ABO grouping does not cause alloimmunization.
Rationale 4: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM). The injection must be given with 72 hours after delivery to prevent alloimmunization.

Mimi

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

frankwu0507

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library