This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which maternalchild patient should the nurse see first? 1. Blood type O, Rh-negative 2. Indirect ... (Read 82 times)

Mimi

Which maternalchild patient should the nurse see first?

1. Blood type O, Rh-negative
  2. Indirect Coombs' test negative
  3. Direct Coombs' test positive
  4. Blood type B, Rh-positive

Question 2

The patient with blood type A, Rh-negative delivered yesterday. Her infant is blood type AB, Rh-positive. Which statement indicates that teaching has been effective?

1. I need to get RhoGAM so I don't have problems with my next pregnancy.
  2. Because my baby is Rh-positive, I don't need RhoGAM.
  3. If my baby had the same blood type I do, it might cause complications.
  4. Before my next pregnancy, I will need to have a RhoGAM shot.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bfulkerson77

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: This patient is Rh-negative, but there is no indication that the alloimmunization has occurred.
Rationale 2: An indirect Coombs' test looks for Rh antibodies in the maternal serum; a negative result indicates the patient has not been alloimmunized.
Rationale 3: A direct Coombs' test looks for Rh antibodies in the fetal blood circulation. A positive result indicates that that there is an Rh incompatibility between mother and infant, and the baby is making anti-Rh antibodies, which in turn leads to hemolysis. This infant is at risk for anemia and hyperbilirubinemia.
Rationale 4: This patient's blood type creates no problems.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM) to prevent alloimmunization, which could cause fetal anemia and other complications during the next pregnancy.
Rationale 2: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM) to prevent alloimmunization.
Rationale 3: It is specifically the Rh factor that causes complications; ABO grouping does not cause alloimmunization.
Rationale 4: Rh-negative mothers who give birth to Rh-positive infants should receive Rh immune globulin (RhoGAM). The injection must be given with 72 hours after delivery to prevent alloimmunization.

Mimi

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Gracias!

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library