This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A school-age child has been bitten on the leg by a large snake that may be poisonous. During ... (Read 59 times)

tichca

A school-age child has been bitten on the leg by a large snake that may be poisonous. During transport to an emergency facility, what should the care include?

a. Apply ice to the snakebite.
  b. Immobilize the leg with a splint.
  c. Place a loose tourniquet distal to the bite.
  d. Apply warm compresses to the snakebite.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a nursing student about standard precautions. Which statement made by the student indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will use precautions when I give an infant oral care.
  b. I will use precautions when I change an infant's diaper.
  c. I will use precautions when I come in contact with blood and body fluids.
  d. I will use precautions when administering oral medications to a school-age child.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fwbard

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The leg should be immobilized. Ice decreases blood flow to the area, which allows the venom to work more destruction and decreases the effect of antivenin on the natural immune mechanisms. A loose tourniquet is placed proximal, not distal, to the area of the bite to delay the flow of lymph. This can delay movement of the venom into the peripheral circulation. The tourniquet should be applied so that a pulse can be felt distal to the bite. Warmth increases circulation to the area and helps the toxin into the peripheral circulation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Standard precautions involve the use of barrier protection (personal protective equipment PPE), such as gloves, goggles, a gown, or a mask, to prevent contamination from (1) blood; (2) all body fluids, secretions, and excretions except sweat, regardless of whether they contain visible blood; (3) nonintact skin; and (4) mucous membranes. Precautions should be taken when giving oral care, when changing diapers, and when coming in contact with blood and body fluids. Further teaching is needed if the student indicates the need to use precautions when administering an oral medication to a school-age child.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

amandanbreshears

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library