This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A school-age child has been bitten on the leg by a large snake that may be poisonous. During ... (Read 61 times)

tichca

A school-age child has been bitten on the leg by a large snake that may be poisonous. During transport to an emergency facility, what should the care include?

a. Apply ice to the snakebite.
  b. Immobilize the leg with a splint.
  c. Place a loose tourniquet distal to the bite.
  d. Apply warm compresses to the snakebite.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a nursing student about standard precautions. Which statement made by the student indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I will use precautions when I give an infant oral care.
  b. I will use precautions when I change an infant's diaper.
  c. I will use precautions when I come in contact with blood and body fluids.
  d. I will use precautions when administering oral medications to a school-age child.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fwbard

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The leg should be immobilized. Ice decreases blood flow to the area, which allows the venom to work more destruction and decreases the effect of antivenin on the natural immune mechanisms. A loose tourniquet is placed proximal, not distal, to the area of the bite to delay the flow of lymph. This can delay movement of the venom into the peripheral circulation. The tourniquet should be applied so that a pulse can be felt distal to the bite. Warmth increases circulation to the area and helps the toxin into the peripheral circulation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Standard precautions involve the use of barrier protection (personal protective equipment PPE), such as gloves, goggles, a gown, or a mask, to prevent contamination from (1) blood; (2) all body fluids, secretions, and excretions except sweat, regardless of whether they contain visible blood; (3) nonintact skin; and (4) mucous membranes. Precautions should be taken when giving oral care, when changing diapers, and when coming in contact with blood and body fluids. Further teaching is needed if the student indicates the need to use precautions when administering an oral medication to a school-age child.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jun 28, 2018
:D TYSM

lindahyatt42

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library