Author Question: What would be the valence electron configuration of Ga2+? (Read 1411 times)

curlz

I'm a bit confused as to what the valence electron configuration would be because I know that in the 11th group they have s and d valence electrons. So I thought the valence configuration would be 4s2 3d9, but apparently that's wrong. I'm not really sure how to do this one.

michelleunicorn

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

j_sun

The correct answer is: [Ar] 4s1 3d10

Explanation: The reason for this is that cations are not quite as simple as anions in their configurations. You CANNOT merely subtract 2 electrons by going back 2 spaces on the periodic table as you did. Instead, you must subtract or take away the atoms from highest energy level first, which here would be n=4. The fourth energy level contains 3 electrons in Ga. Ga 2+ signifies to take away two of these electrons from the fourth energy level. Which would give the configuration of [Ar] 4s1 3d10. Now if the question asked for, let's say, Ga 5+, then the answer would be [Ar] 3d8 because you have used up the electrons on the highest energy level (4) so you must up down to the third to take away the remaining two electrons.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense of the whole deal with cations and their electron configurations. Anions are merely just about adding electrons.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library