This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: With each interaction with the nurse during the shift, the client tells the nurse a dirty joke and ... (Read 46 times)

Chelseaamend

With each interaction with the nurse during the shift, the client tells the nurse a dirty joke and makes sexual comments about the nurse's appearance. Which of the following is the best response by the nurse to this client?

1. If you say that again, I will slap you.
  2. I am withholding your evening meal because of your behavior.
  3. Fine. I will report your behavior to my nursing manager.
  4. I find it inappropriate for you to say those kinds of things.

Question 2

The nurse has been verbally and physically attacked by a physician in the Emergency Department. The nurse is meeting with the nurse manager.

Which of the following responses by the nurse indicate that more education is necessary regarding how to react during these types of situations? Select all that apply.

1. I should not have continued to discuss the issue with the physician.
  2. I was wrong to have stood up for myself during the discussion with the physician.
  3. I should've stated that I didn't like the physician's behavior.
  4. I did the right thing when I got you involved with the situation.
  5. I should not have told the physician to call me by name and not Idiot'.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jazzlynnnnn

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 4

Rationale: The appropriate nursing response is assertive communication. The individual who is performing the sexual harassment must be informed of the discomfort that is felt by the nurse. It is not appropriate for the nurse to be physically violent towards the client. It is not appropriate to withhold food or client care from the client. The nursing manager will need to be informed, but the first step for the nurse in this situation is to use an assertive communication style to help prevent the behavior from occurring.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 2; 5

Rationale:
 I should not have continued to discuss the issue with the physician. During a physical or verbal altercation with another person, nurses should be taught to set some boundaries. One thing the nurse can do is to refuse to discuss the situation further. This can help prevent the situation from escalating.
 I was wrong to have stood up for myself during the discussion with the physician. When dealing with difficult or hostile people, it is important for nurses to learn how to stand up for themselves and set boundaries. Behaviors that can increase the likelihood of victimization should be reviewed with the nurse.
 I should've stated that I didn't like the physician's behavior. During a physical or verbal altercation with another person, nurses should be taught to set some boundaries. It is appropriate for the nurse to point out to the person that is verbally or physically attacking the nurse that he or she is uncomfortable with the other person's behavior, attitude, tone, or words.
 I did the right thing when I got you involved with the situation. It is appropriate for the nurse to report the incident to the nurse manager. There are avenues that can be utilized by the nurse manager to ensure that the situation does not occur again.
 I should not have told the physician to call me by name and not Idiot'. During a physical or verbal altercation with another person, nurses should be taught to set some boundaries. It is important for the nurse to tell the attacker that he or she is uncomfortable with the person's behavior, attitude, tone, or words.

Chelseaamend

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
:D TYSM

amandalm

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library