This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Falls are the most common accidents experienced by people older than 70 years. It is estimated that ... (Read 30 times)

ssal

Falls are the most common accidents experienced by people older than 70 years. It is estimated that about two thirds of falls among the elderly are preventable.

What risk factor is most common and would alert the nurse to place the client on fall risk precautions?

A) Osteoporosis
  B) Hypertension
  C) Poor vision
  D) Middle ear disturbance

Question 2

Which statement made by an older adult client, regarding the client's adjustment to the aging process, poses the greatest concern for the nurse conducting an assessment?

A) I used to enjoy dancing and jogging so much, but now I have arthritis in my knees, so it's hard to even walk.
  B) I've given my grandchildren money for college so they can live a better life than I had.
  C) Growing old certainly presents all sorts of challenges. I wish I knew then what I know now.
  D) As I age I've found it is harder to do the things I love doing, but I guess it will all be over soon enough.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tkempin

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Common risk factors for falls include use of medications or alcohol, poor physical condition, changes in visual acuity, inner ear disturbance, foot problems, gait and balance disorders, and hazards in the home and community. The presence of osteoporosis increases the likelihood of a broken bone when a fall occurs, particularly in women.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
Stating I guess it will all be over soon enough is suggestive of depression. Estimates of depression in older adults living in the community range from less than 1 to 5, but the estimates rise to 13 for those receiving home health care and 11.5 for elderly hospital clients. The other responses show that the client is coping with the challenges of older age.

ssal

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Excellent

vickyvicksss

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library