This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement by the patient would indicate a need for further instruction regarding prevention of ... (Read 16 times)

craiczarry

Which statement by the patient would indicate a need for further instruction regarding prevention of constipation?

a. I eat bran flakes or oatmeal every day to add bulk to my diet.
  b. Since I started eating three servings of fruit a day, I haven't been constipated.
  c. I'm never constipated. I take a gentle laxative every night.
  d. My daily walks have kept my bowels working regularly.

Question 2

Which patient would be most at risk for constipation?

a. Patient taking antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection
  b. Patient taking hormones for postmenopausal symptoms
  c. Patient iron supplements for anemia
  d. Patient taking nonsteroidal inhalants for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

carlsona147

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Long-term laxative use may cause the body to become so dependent on laxatives that the patient is unable to have a normal elimination pattern without medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Iron supplements increase the risk of constipation.

craiczarry

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library