Author Question: Which of the following restrictive thoracic diseases responds least favorably to NPPV? A. ... (Read 22 times)

Pea0909berry

Which of the following restrictive thoracic diseases responds least favorably to NPPV?

A. amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  B. kyphoscoliosis
  C. postpolio syndrome
  D. myopathies

Question 2

Which of the following clinical features are characteristics of hypoxemic respiratory failure? I. Pao2/Fio2 less than 300 II. respiratory distress III. respiratory rate less than 20 breaths/min IV. tachycardia

A. I, III only
  B. II, IV only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Sierray

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A (page 372)
Cognitive Level: Recall
A. Correct response: Long-term follow-up studies on several hundred patients using NPPV for 3 to 5 years have demonstrated favorable results among patients with postpolio syndrome, various myopathies, and kyphoscoliosis. Survival among patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) was less favorable because the ALS (underlying disease) progresses more rapidly than with the other pathologies.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B (page 369)
Cognitive Level: Recall
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Hypoxemic respiratory failure is characterized by severe hypoxemia (Pao2/Fio2 <200), respiratory distress, tachypnea (>30 breaths/minute), tachycardia, and a non-COPD cause (e.g., ARDS), acute pneumonia, trauma, and acute pulmonary edema.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.