Author Question: What is the role of the American Heart Association (AHA) regarding resuscitation devices? I. The AHA ... (Read 17 times)

lindiwe

What is the role of the American Heart Association (AHA) regarding resuscitation devices? I. The AHA suggests standards for the delivery of rate and volume from devices. II. The AHA provides standards for the depth and timing of ventilation. III. The AHA establishes standards for device characteristics. IV. The AHA focuses on the testing of devices.

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, III only
  D. III, IV only

Question 2

During mouth-to-mouth ventilation, what is the approximate alveolar Po2 that can be expected in the patient's lungs when the barometric pressure is 747 mm Hg and the patient's Paco2 is 40 mm Hg?

A. 32 to 39 mm Hg
  B. 40 to 48 mm Hg
  C. 52 to 76 mm Hg
  D. 78 to 84 mm Hg

thall411

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Several agencies have published recommendations for the use and evaluation of emergency medical devices. These include the American Heart Association (AHA), the Emergency Care Research Institute, the American Society of Testing and materials, and the International Standards Organization. The AHA provides standards for the depth and timing of ventilation and device characteristics. The other agencies suggest standards for rate and volume, but are more focused on the testing of devices.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: During expired air resuscitation, the Fdo2 is approximately 16 to 18, which results in an alveolar Po2 of approximately 52 to 76 mm Hg. This projected alveolar oxygenation tension is based on a barometric pressure of 747 mm Hg and an alveolar Pco2 of 40 mm Hg.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C