Author Question: The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the American Heart Association (AHA) have similar ... (Read 31 times)

Frost2351

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the American Heart Association (AHA) have similar guidelines to engage in moderate intensity aerobic exercise for a minimum of ____ minutes (up to ____ minutes) per day for ____ days a week or vigorously intense aerobic exercise for ____ to ____ minutes per day for a total of 75 to 150 minutes per week as well as twice a week of resistance training (i.e., strength training, weight lifting).

a. 30, 60, 5, 20, 30 c. 20, 30, 5, 30, 60
  b. 15, 30, 4, 10, 15 d. 30, 45, 4, 15, 30

Question 2

Opposite of the commonly held belief that laughter lowers blood pressure, Martin (2002, p. 218) concludes that experimental studies indicate that laughter is actually associated with short-term increases in blood pressure and heart rate, but no longer-term effects.. Discuss the more positive results found for using coping humor.

What will be an ideal response?

mcarey591

Answer to Question 1

A

Answer to Question 2

More positive results are found for using coping humor, a strategy of using humor to cope with stress. For example, Kuiper and his colleagues (Kuiper, Grimshaw, Leite, & Kirsh, 2004) demonstrated that coping humor is linked to higher levels of self-esteem, perceived competency, and positive affect as well as less anxiety, depression, and negative affect. Further, they demonstrated that some sense-of-humor styles are associated with positive psychological well-being such as affiliative humor (e.g., I laugh and joke a lot with my friends) and self-enhancing humor (e.g. Even when I'm by myself, I am amused by the absurdities in life), whereas others are associated with negative psychological well-being such as self-defeating humor (e.g., I often get carried away in putting myself down if it makes my family and friends laugh) and belabored humor (e.g., I react in an exaggerated way to mildly humorous comments) (Kuiper et al., 2004, p. 147). Their ironic conclusion is listed in the title of their article that reads Humor is not always the best medicine (p. 135).