This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient states, I don't want to die from cancer. The nurse responds, I heard you say you don't ... (Read 13 times)

rl

A patient states, I don't want to die from cancer. The nurse responds, I heard you say you don't want to die from cancer. The nurse's response is an example of which active listening behavior?

a. Silence
  b. Validation
  c. Summarizing
  d. Minimal encouraging

Question 2

A patient states, My chest incision hurts. I can't walk because of the pain. The nurse responds, You've been unable to walk because of incisional pain. The nurse's response is an example of which active listening behavior?

a. Restating
  b. Reflection
  c. Clarification
  d. Paraphrasing

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Tabitha_2016

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Summarizing means briefly stating the main data gathered. For example: Nurse: This is what I heard you say. Is that correct? Silence involves pauses used with skill. Validation provides the patient with an opportunity to correct information, if necessary, at the time of summary. Minimal encouraging involves using sounds, words, or short phrases to encourage the patient to continue.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Restating refers to repeating in a slightly different way what the patient has said. Reflection is putting into words information received from the patient at an affective communication level. Clarification is asking a closed-ended question in response to a patient's statement to be sure it's understood. Paraphrasing refers to expressing in one's own words what one thinks the patient means.

rl

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

aruss1303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library