This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient states, I don't want to die from cancer. The nurse responds, I heard you say you don't ... (Read 15 times)

rl

A patient states, I don't want to die from cancer. The nurse responds, I heard you say you don't want to die from cancer. The nurse's response is an example of which active listening behavior?

a. Silence
  b. Validation
  c. Summarizing
  d. Minimal encouraging

Question 2

A patient states, My chest incision hurts. I can't walk because of the pain. The nurse responds, You've been unable to walk because of incisional pain. The nurse's response is an example of which active listening behavior?

a. Restating
  b. Reflection
  c. Clarification
  d. Paraphrasing

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Tabitha_2016

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Summarizing means briefly stating the main data gathered. For example: Nurse: This is what I heard you say. Is that correct? Silence involves pauses used with skill. Validation provides the patient with an opportunity to correct information, if necessary, at the time of summary. Minimal encouraging involves using sounds, words, or short phrases to encourage the patient to continue.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Restating refers to repeating in a slightly different way what the patient has said. Reflection is putting into words information received from the patient at an affective communication level. Clarification is asking a closed-ended question in response to a patient's statement to be sure it's understood. Paraphrasing refers to expressing in one's own words what one thinks the patient means.

rl

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Excellent

cdmart10

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library