Author Question: A patient shares with a nurse, One of my friends says there's nothing wrong with my nerves that ... (Read 20 times)

silviawilliams41

A patient shares with a nurse, One of my friends says there's nothing wrong with my nerves that meditation can't cure.

What do you think I should do when I get uptight and start worrying about something? The nurse's best response is based on the fact that meditation: a. requires that the patient concentrate; anxiety would hinder the patient's ability to do that effectively.
  b. is effective only when used effectively in combination with psychodynamic therapy.
  c. has shown some benefits for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.
  d. is usually only therapeutic for anxiety when paired with yoga.

Question 2

The first antidepressants in clinical use were the:

a. mood stabilizers
  b. monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors
  c. selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
  d. tricyclic and related antidepressants

spencer.martell

Answer to Question 1

C
Meditation, a relaxation technique, has been beneficial for generalized anxiety and panic disorder. It has been found to be helpful in reducing the severity and frequency of panic attacks and has improved anxiety and depression scores.

Answer to Question 2

D
Tricyclic and related antidepressants were the first antidepressants in clinical use. Even today, these drugs still have important roles in treating mood disorders. Despite the large variety of tricyclic drugs available, there are few differences between them.