Author Question: A terminally ill client receiving palliative care tells the nurse I know I am not going to get ... (Read 37 times)

misspop

A terminally ill client receiving palliative care tells the nurse I know I am not going to get well...
  but still.... His voice trails off. A therapeutic response would be

a. What are you hoping for?
  b. No, you are not going to get well..
  c. Do you have questions about what is happening?
  d. When you have questions, it is best to talk to the doctor..

Question 2

A community mental health nurse has the task of planning an educational program for staff of a
  home health agency specializing in care of the elderly. A topic of high priority should be

a. identifying clinical depression in older adults.
  b. providing cost-effective foot care for the elderly.
  c. identifying dietary deficiencies in the elderly.
  d. psychosocial stimulation for those who live alone.

alexisweber49

Answer to Question 1

A
This open-ended response is an example of following the client's lead. It provides an opportunity for
the client to speak about whatever is on his mind. Option B may block further communication.
Option C refocuses the conversation. Option D gives advice and suggests the nurse is uncomfortable
with the topic.

Answer to Question 2

A
The topic of greatest immediacy is the identification of clinical depression in older adults. Home
health staff are better versed in the physical aspects of care and are less knowledgeable about mental
health topics. Statistics show that elderly clients with mental health problems are less likely than
young adults to be accurately diagnosed. This is especially true for depression and anxiety, both of
which are likely to be misinterpreted as normal aging. Undiagnosed and untreated depression and
anxiety result in unnecessary suffering. The other options are of lesser importance.