Author Question: A client comes to her outpatient therapy appointment obviously intoxicated. Her husband tells the ... (Read 16 times)

lidoalex

A client comes to her outpatient therapy appointment obviously intoxicated. Her husband tells the
  nurse There was nothing I could do to stop her when she started drinking this morning.. The nurse
  should

a. talk with him about strategies to limit his wife's drinking.
  b. have the client admitted to the inpatient psychiatric unit.
  c. arrange for emergency admission to a detoxification unit.
  d. tell the client that therapy cannot take place while she is intoxicated.

Question 2

The client tells the nurse I'll never be happy until I'm as successful as my older sister.. The nurse
  asks the client to reassess this statement and reframe it. An acceptable reframed statement is

a. I won't be happy until I make as much money as my sister..
  b. People should treat me as well as they treat my sister..
  c. I can find enjoyment in success at my own job level..
  d. I'm resigned to not being as smart or clever as my sister..

prumorgan

Answer to Question 1

D
One cannot conduct meaningful therapy with an intoxicated client. The client should be taken home
to recover, then make another appointment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
This reframed statement is positive and realistic. It speaks to finding satisfaction and happiness
without measuring the self against another person. The other options show persistent negative,
irrational thinking about the self compared with the sister.