This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 16-year-old client asks the nurse conducting the assessment interview Why should I tell you ... (Read 18 times)

FButt

A 16-year-old client asks the nurse conducting the assessment interview Why should I tell you
  anything? You'll just run back and tell my mother whatever you find out.. The best reply for the
  nurse would be

a. That's not true. Whatever you tell me will be held in the strictest confidence..
  b. Your mother may find out what you say, but is that really such a bad thing?
  c. Anything you say about feelings is confidential, but things like suicidal thinking
  must be reported to the treatment team..
  d. It sounds as though you're not really ready to work on your problems and make
  changes..

Question 2

During the initial assessment interview the client becomes anxious and evasive when the nurse asks
  her if she has ever heard voices when no one else was around. The client asks, What do you need to
  know that for? The nurse should say

a. Please be honest about this, after repeating the question.
  b. Sometimes questions seem highly personal, but we have our reasons for asking
  each one..
  c. What purpose do you think we might have in asking about whether you hear
  voices?
  d. I can see this subject makes you uncomfortable. We can discuss it at another
  time..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jonathanballen97

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The client has a right to know that most information will be held in confidence but that certain
material must be reported or shared with the treatment team, such as threats of suicide, homicide, use
of illegal drugs, or issues of abuse. Option A is not strictly true. Option B will not inspire the
confidence of the client. Option D is confrontational.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The nurse should not try to pry information out of a client who is reluctant to give the information.
The nurse should note the client's reaction to the question and carefully observe for behavioral signs
that the client may be experiencing auditory hallucinations. Option A implies the client has been
dishonest. Option B treats the client in a demeaning fashion. Option C is game playing.

FButt

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

shailee

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library