Author Question: The nurse providing cognitive therapy for a client who believes she is stupid would evaluate ... (Read 17 times)

kwoodring

The nurse providing cognitive therapy for a client who believes she is stupid would evaluate
  cognitive intervention as effective when the client states

a. I'm disappointed in my lack of ability..
  b. Sometimes I do stupid things..
  c. Things always go wrong for me..
  d. I always fail when I try new things..

Question 2

A 20-year-old college student who transferred from a community college in her hometown to a
  university 100 miles from home had been emotionally close to her mother and sister. When she
  transferred she broke up with her boyfriend of 2 years.

She was slow to make new friends at the
  university. Gradually, she began to eat whenever she felt blue. She consumed large quantities of
  food nightly and then induced vomiting. The binge-purge cycles continued until they began to
  interfere with her schoolwork. She sought help from the university health clinic. During the initial
  interview, what other issue should the nurse address in addition to the binge-purge syndrome?
  a. Study habits
  b. School activities
  c. Losses
  d. Student aid

bigsis44

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
I'm stupid is an irrational thought. A more rational thought is Sometimes I do stupid things.. The
latter thinking promotes emotional self-control. Options A, C, and D reflect irrational thinking.

Answer to Question 2

C
The client has a significant history of losses: her mother and sister are no longer available as
supports, and she has terminated the relationship with her boyfriend. Feelings of loss and depression
are often associated with bulimia. The other options are of lesser relevance.