Author Question: A 23-year-old college student wrote about herself, Most of the time I'm happy and feel pretty good ... (Read 21 times)

asd123

A 23-year-old college student wrote about herself, Most of the time I'm happy and feel pretty good
  about myself. I've learned that what I get out of something is often proportional to the effort I put
  into it. My grades are OK..

Based on this information, what number on the mental health continuum
  should the nurse select as best reflecting the individual's state of mental health/illness?
  Mental Illness Mental Health
  1 2 3 4
  a. 1
  b. 2
  c. 3
  d. 4

Question 2

A nurse explaining the multiaxial DSM-IV-TR to a psychiatric technician can accurately say that it

a. focuses on plans for treatment.
  b. includes nursing and medical diagnoses.
  c. includes assessments of several aspects of functioning.
  d. uses the framework of a specific biopsychosocial theory.

asdfghjkl;

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The student states she's happy. Her self-concept is adequate. She is reality oriented, effective in her
work, and has control over her behavior. Option A would be appropriate for an individual with
severe impairment of functioning. Option B would be appropriate for an individual with moderate
impairment of functioning. Option C would be appropriate for an individual with mild impairment of
functioning.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The use of five axes requires assessment beyond diagnosis of a mental disorder and includes
relevant medical conditions, psychosocial and environmental problems, and global assessment of
functioning. Option A: The DSM-IV-TR does not include a treatment plan. Option B: Nursing
diagnoses are not included. Option D: The DSM-IV-TR does not use a specific biopsychosocial
theory.