This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The family of a client diagnosed with anorexia nervosa becomes defensive when the treatment team ... (Read 49 times)

awywial

The family of a client diagnosed with anorexia nervosa becomes defensive when the treatment team calls for a family meeting. Which is the appropriate nursing response?

1. Tell me why this family meeting is causing you to be defensive. All clients are required to participate in two family sessions.
  2. Eating disorders have been correlated to certain familial patterns; without addressing these, your child's condition will not improve.
  3. Family dynamics are not linked to eating disorders. The meeting is to provide your child with family support.
  4. Clients diagnosed with anorexia nervosa are part of the family system, and any alteration in family processes needs to be addressed.

Question 2

A potential Olympic figure skater collapses during practice and is hospitalized for severe malnutrition. Anorexia nervosa is diagnosed. Which client statement best reflects insight related to this disorder?

1. Skaters need to be thin to improve their daily performance.
  2. All the skaters on the team are following an approved 1200-calorie diet.
  3. The exercise of skating reduces my appetite but improves my energy level.
  4. I am angry at my mother. I can only get her approval when I win competitions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

otokexnaru

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The nurse should educate the family on the correlation between certain familial patterns and anorexia nervosa. Families engaging in conflict avoidance and struggling with issues of power and control may contribute to the development of anorexia nervosa.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The client reflects insight when referring to feelings toward family dynamics that may have influenced the development of the disease. Families who are overprotective and perfectionistic can contribute to the development of anorexia nervosa.

awywial

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

raili21

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library