This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with major depression whose wife died 6 months earlier was admitted to the hospital after ... (Read 19 times)

Awilson837

A client with major depression whose wife died 6 months earlier was admitted to the hospital after attempting suicide by overdosing on a variety of medications and drinking alcohol.

By day 5 he was improving and interacting with peers and the staff. Which statement would cause the nurse to observe his behavior more closely?
  1. When I'm discharged, I guess I'll stay with my son until I feel better.
  2. I do not enjoy shopping at the mall since my wife died.
  3. It puzzles me that anyone would want to harm themselves like I did.
  4. My wife and I would have been married 36 years tomorrow.

Question 2

A client age 46 was admitted to the hospital with major depression. The nurse asked, Do you feel like hurting yourself at this time?

What is the primary rationale for obtaining this information when nothing in his referral note im-plied that he was suicidal?
  1. It is likely that he is hiding the desire to harm himself.
  2. This information must be reported to the physician.
  3. Specific safety measures must be implemented when self-harm is a danger.
  4. He would be placed on a locked unit if he were a threat to himself.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
Significant anniversary dates may be a time for future suicide attempts. Options 1 and 3 are posi-tive statements, and option 2 does not necessarily indicate suicidal intent.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Depression is a disorder linked to suicidal behavior, so it is imperative to ask and then closely observe the client if he says Yes. Options 1 and 2 might be true, but they are not the reason for asking. Most psychiatric units are locked, so option 4 is not relevant.

Awilson837

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

Animal_Goddess

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library