This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with major depression whose wife died 6 months earlier was admitted to the hospital after ... (Read 20 times)

Awilson837

A client with major depression whose wife died 6 months earlier was admitted to the hospital after attempting suicide by overdosing on a variety of medications and drinking alcohol.

By day 5 he was improving and interacting with peers and the staff. Which statement would cause the nurse to observe his behavior more closely?
  1. When I'm discharged, I guess I'll stay with my son until I feel better.
  2. I do not enjoy shopping at the mall since my wife died.
  3. It puzzles me that anyone would want to harm themselves like I did.
  4. My wife and I would have been married 36 years tomorrow.

Question 2

A client age 46 was admitted to the hospital with major depression. The nurse asked, Do you feel like hurting yourself at this time?

What is the primary rationale for obtaining this information when nothing in his referral note im-plied that he was suicidal?
  1. It is likely that he is hiding the desire to harm himself.
  2. This information must be reported to the physician.
  3. Specific safety measures must be implemented when self-harm is a danger.
  4. He would be placed on a locked unit if he were a threat to himself.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
Significant anniversary dates may be a time for future suicide attempts. Options 1 and 3 are posi-tive statements, and option 2 does not necessarily indicate suicidal intent.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Depression is a disorder linked to suicidal behavior, so it is imperative to ask and then closely observe the client if he says Yes. Options 1 and 2 might be true, but they are not the reason for asking. Most psychiatric units are locked, so option 4 is not relevant.

Awilson837

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Laurenleakan

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library