Author Question: The father of a child with schizophrenia says, I lost my job, so we have no health insurance. The ... (Read 19 times)

D2AR0N

The father of a child with schizophrenia says, I lost my job, so we have no health insurance. The mother says, I must watch this child all the time. Without supervision, our child becomes violent and destroys furniture. The sibling says,

My parents don't pay very much attention to me. These comments signify:

a. life-cycle stressors
  b. psychobiologic issues
  c. family burden of mental illness
  d. stigma associated with mental illness

Question 2

A homeless patient with serious and persistent mental illness became suspicious and delusional. The patient was given depot antipsychotic medication, and housing for the patient was obtained in a local shelter.

After 2 weeks, which statement by the patient indicates significant improvement?

a. I am feeling safe and comfortable here. Nobody bothers me.
  b. They will not let me drink. They have many rules in the shelter.
  c. Those guys are always watching me. I think someone stole my shoes.
  d. That shot made my arm sore. I'm not going to take any more of them.

chereeb

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Family burden refers to the meaning that the experience of living with a person who is mentally ill has for families. The stressors mentioned are not related to live-cycle issues. The stressors described are psychosocial. Stigma refers to shame and ridicule associated with mental illness.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Evaluation of a patient's progress is made based on patient satisfaction with the new health status and the health care team's estimation of improvement. For a formerly delusional patient to admit to feeling comfortable and free of being bothered by others denotes an improvement in the patient's condition. The other options suggest that the patient is in danger of relapse.