This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer says, My father also died of pancreatic cancer. I ... (Read 98 times)

tichca

A patient newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer says, My father also died of pancreatic cancer. I took care of him during his illness. I can't go through that. Select the highest priority nursing diagnosis.

a. Anticipatory grieving
  b. Ineffective coping
  c. Ineffective denial
  d. Risk for suicide

Question 2

Which finding indicates the successful completion of an individual's grieving process?

a. For 2 years, a person has kept the deceased spouse's belongings in their usual places.
  b. After 15 months, a widowed person realistically remembers both the pleasures and disappointments of the relationship with the spouse.
  c. Three years after the death, a person talks about the spouse as if the spouse were still alive and weeps when others mention the spouse's name.
  d. Eighteen months after the spouse's death, a person says, I never cry or have feelings of loss even though we were always very close.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chjcharjto14

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient's statement has a subtle message of suicide. Suicide is a risk for people with major losses, including terminal disease. The nurse will need to monitor the suicide risk vigilantly. The other diagnoses may apply but are lower priority.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The work of grieving is over when the bereaved can remember the individual realistically and acknowledge both the pleasure and disappointments associated with the loved one. The individual is then free to enter into new relationships and activities. The other options suggest unresolved grief.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

mammy1697

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library