This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer says, My father also died of pancreatic cancer. I ... (Read 99 times)

tichca

A patient newly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer says, My father also died of pancreatic cancer. I took care of him during his illness. I can't go through that. Select the highest priority nursing diagnosis.

a. Anticipatory grieving
  b. Ineffective coping
  c. Ineffective denial
  d. Risk for suicide

Question 2

Which finding indicates the successful completion of an individual's grieving process?

a. For 2 years, a person has kept the deceased spouse's belongings in their usual places.
  b. After 15 months, a widowed person realistically remembers both the pleasures and disappointments of the relationship with the spouse.
  c. Three years after the death, a person talks about the spouse as if the spouse were still alive and weeps when others mention the spouse's name.
  d. Eighteen months after the spouse's death, a person says, I never cry or have feelings of loss even though we were always very close.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chjcharjto14

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient's statement has a subtle message of suicide. Suicide is a risk for people with major losses, including terminal disease. The nurse will need to monitor the suicide risk vigilantly. The other diagnoses may apply but are lower priority.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The work of grieving is over when the bereaved can remember the individual realistically and acknowledge both the pleasure and disappointments associated with the loved one. The individual is then free to enter into new relationships and activities. The other options suggest unresolved grief.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

bigcheese9

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library