This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An adult tells the nurse, I can't take it anymore Last year my husband had an affair and now we ... (Read 44 times)

Metfan725

An adult tells the nurse, I can't take it anymore Last year my husband had an affair and now we don't communicate. Three months ago, I found a lump in my breast. Yesterday my daughter told me she's quitting college and moving in with her boyfriend.

What is the priority nursing diagnosis?

a. Fear, related to impending surgery
  b. Deficient knowledge, related to breast lesion
  c. Ineffective coping, related to perceived loss of daughter
  d. Impaired verbal communication, related to spousal estrangement

Question 2

A woman says, I can't take it anymore Last year my husband had an affair and now we don't communicate. Three months ago, I found a lump in my breast. Yesterday my daughter said she's quitting college.

If this person's immediate family is unable to provide sufficient situational support, the nurse should:

a. suggest hospitalization for a short period.
  b. ask what other relatives or friends are available for support.
  c. tell the patient, You must be strong. Don't let this crisis overwhelm you.
  d. foster insight by relating the present situation to earlier situations involving loss.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jane

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
This nursing diagnosis is the priority because it reflects the precipitating event associated with the patient's crisis. Data are not present to make the other diagnoses of Deficient knowledge, Fear, or Impaired verbal communication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The assessment of situational supports should continue. Although the patient's nuclear family may not be supportive, other situational supports may be available. If they are adequate, admission to an inpatient unit will be unnecessary. Psychotherapy is not appropriate for crisis intervention. Advice is usually nontherapeutic.

Metfan725

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

ryhom

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library