This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient admitted to an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I ... (Read 43 times)

Diane

A patient admitted to an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I usually have a drink or two at brunch, a few cocktails in the afternoon, wine at dinner, and several drinks during the evening.

Which defense mechanism is evident?

a. Rationalization
  b. Introjection
  c. Projection
  d. Denial

Question 2

A new patient in an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I usually have a drink or two at brunch, a few cocktails in the afternoon, wine at dinner, and a few drinks in the evening.

Which response by the nurse will help the patient view the drinking more honestly?

a. I see, and use interested silence.
  b. I think you may be drinking more than you report.
  c. Being a social drinker involves having a drink or two once or twice a week.
  d. You describe drinking steadily throughout the day and evening. Am I correct?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

taylorsonier

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Minimizing one's drinking is a form of denial of alcoholism. The patient's own description indicates that social drinking is not an accurate name for the behavior. Projection involves blaming another for one's faults or problems. Rationalization involves making excuses. Introjection involves taking a quality into one's own system.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The answer summarizes and validates what the patient reported but is accepting rather than strongly confrontational. Defenses cannot be removed until healthier coping strategies are in place. Strong confrontation does not usually take place so early in treatment.

Diane

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

mcabuhat

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

When blood is exposed to air, it clots. Heparin allows the blood to come in direct contact with air without clotting.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library