This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient admitted to an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I ... (Read 39 times)

Diane

A patient admitted to an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I usually have a drink or two at brunch, a few cocktails in the afternoon, wine at dinner, and several drinks during the evening.

Which defense mechanism is evident?

a. Rationalization
  b. Introjection
  c. Projection
  d. Denial

Question 2

A new patient in an alcoholism rehabilitation program says, I'm just a social drinker. I usually have a drink or two at brunch, a few cocktails in the afternoon, wine at dinner, and a few drinks in the evening.

Which response by the nurse will help the patient view the drinking more honestly?

a. I see, and use interested silence.
  b. I think you may be drinking more than you report.
  c. Being a social drinker involves having a drink or two once or twice a week.
  d. You describe drinking steadily throughout the day and evening. Am I correct?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

taylorsonier

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Minimizing one's drinking is a form of denial of alcoholism. The patient's own description indicates that social drinking is not an accurate name for the behavior. Projection involves blaming another for one's faults or problems. Rationalization involves making excuses. Introjection involves taking a quality into one's own system.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The answer summarizes and validates what the patient reported but is accepting rather than strongly confrontational. Defenses cannot be removed until healthier coping strategies are in place. Strong confrontation does not usually take place so early in treatment.

Diane

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

Zebsrer

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library