This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who had been experiencing significant stress learned to use progressive muscle relaxation ... (Read 14 times)

bcretired

A patient who had been experiencing significant stress learned to use progressive muscle relaxation and deep breathing exercises.

When the patient returns to the clinic 2 weeks later, which finding most clearly shows the patient is coping more effectively with stress?

a. The patient's systolic blood pressure has changed from the 140s to the 120s mm Hg.
  b. The patient reports, I feel better, and that things are not bothering me as much.
  c. The patient reports, I spend more time napping or sitting quietly at home.
  d. The patient's weight decreased by 3 pounds.

Question 2

When a nurse asks a newly admitted patient to describe social supports, the patient says, My parents died last year and I have no family. I am newly divorced, and my former in-laws blame me.

I don't have many friends because most people my age just want to go out drinking. Which action will the nurse apply?

a. Advise the patient that being so particular about potential friends reduces social contact.
  b. Suggest using the Internet as a way to find supportive others with similar values.
  c. Encourage the patient to begin dating again, perhaps with members of the church.
  d. Discuss how divorce support groups could increase coping and social support.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

scikid

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Objective measures tend to be the most reliable means of gauging progress. In this case, the patient's elevated blood pressure, an indication of the body's physiological response to stress, has diminished. The patient's report regarding activity level is subjective; sitting quietly could reflect depression rather than improvement. Appetite, mood, and energy levels are also subjective reports that do not necessarily reflect physiological changes from stress and may not reflect improved coping with stress. The patient's weight change could be a positive or negative indicator; the blood pressure change is the best answer.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
High-quality social support enhances mental and physical health and acts as a significant buffer against distress. Low-quality support relationships affect a person's coping negatively. Resuming dating soon after a divorce could place additional stress on the patient rather than helping her cope with existing stressors. Developing relationships on the Internet probably would not substitute fully for direct contact with other humans and could expose her to predators misrepresenting themselves to take advantage of vulnerable persons.

bcretired

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library