This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A novice nurse tells a mentor, I want to convey to my patients that I am interested in them and that ... (Read 64 times)

RRMR

A novice nurse tells a mentor, I want to convey to my patients that I am interested in them and that I want to listen to what they have to say. Which behaviors will be helpful in meeting the nurse's goal? Select all that apply.

a. Sitting behind a desk, facing the patient
  b. Introducing self to a patient and identifying own role
  c. Maintaining control of discussions by asking direct questions
  d. Using facial expressions to convey interest and encouragement
  e. Assuming an open body posture and sometimes mirror imaging

Question 2

A novice psychiatric nurse has a parent with bipolar disorder. This nurse angrily recalls feelings of embarrassment about the parent's behavior in the community. Select the best ways for this nurse to cope with these feelings. Select all that apply.

a. Seek ways to use the understanding gained from childhood to help patients cope with their own illnesses.
  b. Recognize that these feelings are unhealthy. The nurse should try to suppress them when working with patients.
  c. Recognize that psychiatric nursing is not an appropriate career choice. Explore other nursing specialties.
  d. The nurse should begin new patient relationships by saying, My own parent had mental illness, so I accept it without stigma.
  e. Recognize that the feelings may add sensitivity to the nurse's practice, but supervision is important.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

IAPPLET

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B, D, E
Trust is fostered when the nurse gives an introduction and identifies his or her role. Facial expressions that convey interest and encouragement support the nurse's verbal statements to that effect and strengthen the message. An open body posture conveys openness to listening to what the patient has to say. Mirror imaging enhances patient comfort. A desk would place a physical barrier between the nurse and patient. A face-to-face stance should be avoided when possible and a less intense 90- or 120-degree angle used to permit either party to look away without discomfort.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A, E
The nurse needs support to explore these feelings. An experienced psychiatric nurse is a resource that may be helpful. The knowledge and experience gained from the nurse's relationship with a mentally ill parent may contribute sensitivity to compassionate practice. Self-disclosure and suppression are not adaptive coping strategies. The nurse should not give up on this area of practice without first seeking ways to cope with the memories.

RRMR

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

steff9894

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library