This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who takes haloperidol (Haldol) 10 mg/day orally developed restlessness, agitation, and an ... (Read 18 times)

tsand2

A patient who takes haloperidol (Haldol) 10 mg/day orally developed restlessness, agitation, and an inability to sit still

The nurse then administered a PRN dose of haloperidol 5 mg intramuscularly. One hour later the patient's symptoms were worse. What is the most likely explanation?
  a. The PRN medication has not yet taken effect.
  b. The patient needs an additional PRN dose of haloperidol to control the rising agitation.
  c. The patient was experiencing akathisia, which worsened after receiving the PRN medication.
  d. The nurse should consider an adjunctive dose of an antianxiety drug such as lorazepam (Ativan).

Question 2

A patient tells the nurse, I was raped a month ago

Since then I've felt anxious and have been unable to talk normally to my husband. I've had frequent thoughts about cutting my wrists. What is the priority nursing concern regarding this patient?
  a. The risk for self-directed violence
  b. The development of rape traumatic syndrome
  c. The damage that could result in poor self-esteem
  d. The demonstration of signs and symptoms of acute anxiety

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

quynhmickitran

Answer to Question 1

C
Akathisia is characterized by subjective feelings of restlessness accompanied by the inability to sit still and the need to pace. It is an EPSE of antipsychotic medication, made more intense by higher doses of medication and use of PRN doses. It is unnecessary to change to a more sedating drug. The addition of an antianxiety drug is unnecessary.

Answer to Question 2

A
The risk for self-injury is of highest priority, because patient safety is involved.

tsand2

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

mohan

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Drug abusers experience the following scenario: The pleasure given by their drug (or drugs) of choice is so strong that it is difficult to eradicate even after years of staying away from the substances involved. Certain triggers may cause a drug abuser to relapse. Research shows that long-term drug abuse results in significant changes in brain function that persist long after an individual stops using drugs. It is most important to realize that the same is true of not just illegal substances but alcohol and tobacco as well.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library