This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who takes haloperidol (Haldol) 10 mg/day orally developed restlessness, agitation, and an ... (Read 19 times)

tsand2

A patient who takes haloperidol (Haldol) 10 mg/day orally developed restlessness, agitation, and an inability to sit still

The nurse then administered a PRN dose of haloperidol 5 mg intramuscularly. One hour later the patient's symptoms were worse. What is the most likely explanation?
  a. The PRN medication has not yet taken effect.
  b. The patient needs an additional PRN dose of haloperidol to control the rising agitation.
  c. The patient was experiencing akathisia, which worsened after receiving the PRN medication.
  d. The nurse should consider an adjunctive dose of an antianxiety drug such as lorazepam (Ativan).

Question 2

A patient tells the nurse, I was raped a month ago

Since then I've felt anxious and have been unable to talk normally to my husband. I've had frequent thoughts about cutting my wrists. What is the priority nursing concern regarding this patient?
  a. The risk for self-directed violence
  b. The development of rape traumatic syndrome
  c. The damage that could result in poor self-esteem
  d. The demonstration of signs and symptoms of acute anxiety

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

quynhmickitran

Answer to Question 1

C
Akathisia is characterized by subjective feelings of restlessness accompanied by the inability to sit still and the need to pace. It is an EPSE of antipsychotic medication, made more intense by higher doses of medication and use of PRN doses. It is unnecessary to change to a more sedating drug. The addition of an antianxiety drug is unnecessary.

Answer to Question 2

A
The risk for self-injury is of highest priority, because patient safety is involved.

tsand2

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

mjenn52

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library