Author Question: A patient diagnosed with lung cancer continues to smoke and says, I think my cancer is more the ... (Read 22 times)

maychende

A patient diagnosed with lung cancer continues to smoke and says, I think my cancer is more the result of a bad gene than of smoking. The patient shows the use of which defense mechanism?

a. Denial
  b. Compensation
  c. Intellectualization
  d. Reaction formation

Question 2

Effective use of the nursing process is dependent on communication that

a. is structured and goal-directed.
  b. meets the needs of both patient and nurse.
  c. is spontaneous and affords mutual self-disclosure.
  d. fosters emotional distance between patient and nurse.

maya.nigrin17@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

A
Denial is the unconscious refusal to admit an unacceptable idea or behavior, as shown in this example. Compensation refers to covering a weakness by overemphasizing a desirable trait. Intellectualization involves using a logical explanation without expressing emotion or affect. Reaction formation is a conscious behavior that is the opposite of an unconscious feeling.

Answer to Question 2

A
Therapeutic communication occurs with the purpose of helping patients. It is patient-centered, structured, and goal-directed. It is not expected to meet the needs of the nurse or to include mutual self-disclosure. These are characteristics of social communication. The nurse maintains objectivity, rather than emotional distance.