This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client about lifestyle modifications to help manage hypertension. The nurse ... (Read 23 times)

melina_rosy

The nurse is teaching a client about lifestyle modifications to help manage hypertension. The nurse determines that teaching has been effective when the client makes which statement?

1. I need to get started on my medications right away..
   2. I won't be able to run in marathons anymore..
   3. My father had hypertension, did nothing, and lived to be 90 years old..
   4. I know I need to give up my cigarettes and alcohol..

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who is diagnosed with benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). The client reports an increase in symptoms. Which of the following assessments would best explain the source of the increased symptoms?

1. Use of over-the-counter saw palmetto
   2. Decreased oral intake at night
   3. Use of over-the-counter cold medication
   4. Recent vasectomy

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ricroger

Answer to Question 1

4. I know I need to give up my cigarettes and alcohol..

Rationale:
Limiting intake of alcohol and discontinuing tobacco products are important nonpharmacological methods for controlling hypertension. Implementing lifestyle modifications may eliminate the need for pharmacotherapy, so the client may not have to take medication right away. Increasing physical activity is an important lifestyle modification for controlling hypertension. The fact that the client's father had hypertension and lived to be 90 years old does not mean that the client will have the same experience; the client is in denial.

Answer to Question 2

3. Use of over-the-counter cold medication

Rationale:
Use of cold medications can increase symptoms because of their anticholinergic properties. Use of saw palmetto and decreased oral intake at night may resolve symptoms. A vasectomy does not affect the symptoms of BPH.

melina_rosy

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

mammy1697

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library