This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is evaluating a client's understanding of dietary needs following a dietary consult that ... (Read 26 times)

Zoey63294

The nurse is evaluating a client's understanding of dietary needs following a dietary consult that covered home management of dietary deficiency anemia. Which statement by the client would indicate a need for additional teaching?

1. I will eat more fruits and vegetables, especially green, leafy ones, to get more B12 in my diet..
   2. I will take vitamins with extra iron in addition to eating a balanced diet with meat to correct my anemia..
   3. I will add food high in vitamin C to improve my absorption of iron in both my vitamins..
   4. I will need to include more protein foods in my diet such as meats, dried beans, and whole-grain breads..

Question 2

A nurse interviews an older nondiabetic client during an appointment for a yearly physical examination. Which of the statements made by the client are most suggestive of a possible diagnosis of diabetes to the nurse?

1. I feel a bit tired by midafternoon and take a 30-minute nap most days..
   2. I've been experiencing blurred vision frequently during the past month..
   3. I sometimes have muscle aches in my upper legs at night..
   4. I'm slightly winded when I walk up a flight of stairs, but it passes quickly..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

xMRAZ

Answer to Question 1

1. I will eat more fruits and vegetables, especially green, leafy ones, to get more B12 in my diet..

Rationale:
I will eat more fruits, vegetables, especially green, leafy ones, to get more B12 in my diet is incorrect; it indicates that the client does need additional teaching for better home management: Adding B12 to the diet (more fruits and vegetables, especially green, leafy ones) will not correct the dietary deficiency anemia. The lack of iron is the problem that needs to be addressed. Extra iron is needed to help replace RBCs and treat the dietary deficiency anemia. I will take vitamins with extra iron in addition to eating a balanced diet with meat to correct my anemia is incorrect because it indicates that the client does not require additional teaching I will add food high in vitamin C to improve my absorption of iron in both my vitamins is incorrect, because it indicates that the client does not require additional teaching. Vitamin C will increase the absorption of iron and help the body replace RBCs from dietary deficiency anemia. I will need to include more protein foods in my diet such as meats, dried beans, and whole-grain breads is incorrect, because it indicates that the client does not require additional teaching. Protein foods such as meats, dried beans, and whole-grain breads do contain iron that will help dietary deficiency anemia.

Answer to Question 2

2. I've been experiencing blurred vision frequently during the past month..

Rationale:
Blurred vision can be associated with high glucose levels and may be a symptom of undiagnosed diabetes mellitus. Fatigue that responds to a short nap, having some muscle aches at night, and being slightly short of breath after walking up a flight of stairs with a quick recovery may be within the normal functioning of a healthy older client.

Zoey63294

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

mochi09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library