This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 62-year-old man with emphysema says, My doctor wants me to quit smoking. It's too late now, ... (Read 14 times)

Mr3Hunna

A 62-year-old man with emphysema says, My doctor wants me to quit smoking. It's too late now, though; I already have lung problems. Which of the following would be the best response to his statement?

a. You should quit so your family does not get sick from exposure to secondhand smoke.
  b. You will need to use oxygen, but remember it is a fire hazard to smoke with oxygen in your home.
  c. Once you stop smoking, your body will begin to repair some of the damage to your lungs.
  d. You should ask your primary care provider for a prescription for a nicotine patch to help you quit.

Question 2

Which of the following blood levels normally provides the primary stimulus for breathing?

a. pH
  b. Oxygen
  c. Bicarbonate
  d. Carbon dioxide

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chem1s3

Answer to Question 1

C
The nurse's response should focus on correcting the patient's misinformation rather than on convincing him to stop smoking. Once a person stops smoking, the body begins to repair the damage. During the first few days, the person will cough more as the cilia begin to clear the airways. Then the coughing subsides, and breathing becomes easier. Even long-time smokers can benefit from smoking cessation. The suggestions that the patient's family will become ill and that oxygen is a fire hazard appear to be scare tactics, which can be seen as coercive, and would not be effective in motivating the patient to stop smoking. Although asking the primary care provider for a prescription may help the patient to stop smoking, it does not address his incorrect belief that it is too late for him to do so.

Answer to Question 2

D
Carbon dioxide (CO2) level provides the primary stimulus to breathe. High CO2 levels stimulate breathing to eliminate the excess CO2 . A secondary, although important, drive to breathe is hypoxemia. Low blood O2 levels stimulate breathing to bring more oxygen into the lungs.

Mr3Hunna

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

FergA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library