This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 62-year-old man with emphysema says, My doctor wants me to quit smoking. It's too late now, ... (Read 15 times)

Mr3Hunna

A 62-year-old man with emphysema says, My doctor wants me to quit smoking. It's too late now, though; I already have lung problems. Which of the following would be the best response to his statement?

a. You should quit so your family does not get sick from exposure to secondhand smoke.
  b. You will need to use oxygen, but remember it is a fire hazard to smoke with oxygen in your home.
  c. Once you stop smoking, your body will begin to repair some of the damage to your lungs.
  d. You should ask your primary care provider for a prescription for a nicotine patch to help you quit.

Question 2

Which of the following blood levels normally provides the primary stimulus for breathing?

a. pH
  b. Oxygen
  c. Bicarbonate
  d. Carbon dioxide

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chem1s3

Answer to Question 1

C
The nurse's response should focus on correcting the patient's misinformation rather than on convincing him to stop smoking. Once a person stops smoking, the body begins to repair the damage. During the first few days, the person will cough more as the cilia begin to clear the airways. Then the coughing subsides, and breathing becomes easier. Even long-time smokers can benefit from smoking cessation. The suggestions that the patient's family will become ill and that oxygen is a fire hazard appear to be scare tactics, which can be seen as coercive, and would not be effective in motivating the patient to stop smoking. Although asking the primary care provider for a prescription may help the patient to stop smoking, it does not address his incorrect belief that it is too late for him to do so.

Answer to Question 2

D
Carbon dioxide (CO2) level provides the primary stimulus to breathe. High CO2 levels stimulate breathing to eliminate the excess CO2 . A secondary, although important, drive to breathe is hypoxemia. Low blood O2 levels stimulate breathing to bring more oxygen into the lungs.

Mr3Hunna

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

dawsa925

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library