This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While the nurse is performing a nutritional assessment her patient states, I am on a vegan diet. I ... (Read 32 times)

dakota nelson

While the nurse is performing a nutritional assessment her patient states, I am on a vegan diet. I have been a vegan for 10 years. What do think? What is the best response by the nurse?

a. Is this a religious or cultural requirement for you?
  b. It is fine; however, you may not be getting all the nutrients you need.
  c. Can you tell me about the foods you eat along with any other supplements you take?
  d. I think it is your right to be on whatever diet you would like to be on.

Question 2

The 80-year-old patient on the medical-surgical unit says to the nurse, My vision is blurry and I see halos around lights. The glare from the sun really bothers me. Upon assessment, the nurse notes a cloudy film over the lens of the eye.

Based on the patient's complaints and the nurse's assessment, the nurse associates these findings with which of the following?
  a. Strabismus
  b. Cataracts
  c. Glaucoma
  d. Presbyopia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

popopong

Answer to Question 1

C
The most appropriate response by the nurse is to first assess what the patient is eating and what supplements the patient uses. This will assist the nurse in identifying the patient's knowledge level of the diet and in identifying proper supplements. The nurse cannot assume that although the patient is following a specific diet, she is obtaining the proper nutrition. Asking the patient whether this is a religious or cultural requirement may be judgmental, is a closed question, and will not elicit information regarding specific dietary intake. All vegetarian diets exclude red meat and poultry, but beyond this distinction is a wide spectrum of vegetarian diets. Vegans eat only foods of plant origin. When choosing a vegetarian diet, one cannot use animal products, such as eggs and milk, to supply necessary nutrients. For example, vegans must eat foods fortified with B12 or take B12 supplements because a deficiency can result in severe and irreversible neurological impairment. Other nutrients that may be inadequately supplied in vegan diets include vitamin D, calcium, iron, and zinc. It is certainly an individual's right to make his or her own choices regarding diet; however, this response again will not assist the nurse in conducting a thorough nutritional assessment.

Answer to Question 2

B
A cataract is a cloudy film over the lens of the eye resulting in blurred vision, sensitivity to glare and bright light, halos around lights, fading or yellowing of colors, and image distortion. Tinnitus is ringing in the ear unrelated to vision. Presbyopia is a change in vision associated with aging in which a person is less able to accommodate to near objects. Glaucoma is a condition involving increasing pressure in the eye that can lead to loss of peripheral vision and even blindness, if not treated. Strabismus (crossed-eyes) is the condition wherein one eye deviates from a fixed image.

dakota nelson

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Zebsrer

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library