This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The certified nursing assistant (CNA) is feeding a patient and notes that the patient is having ... (Read 30 times)

robinn137

The certified nursing assistant (CNA) is feeding a patient and notes that the patient is having difficulty swallowing. She reports this to the primary registered nurse. What should the nurse do first?

a. Assign the task to a more experienced CNA
  b. Feed the patient herself
  c. Assess the patient and place on NPO status
  d. Call the primary care provider

Question 2

A patient who has been hospitalized for weeks becomes angry and tells the nurse who is caring for him, I hate this place; nobody knows how to take care of me or I'd be home by now. Which response by the nurse is best in this situation?

a. You seem angry; what's going on that makes you hate this place?
  b. I'm sorry that we aren't caring for you according to your expectations.
  c. You were very sick; don't be angry; you're lucky to be alive.
  d. You shouldn't be angry with us; we're trying to help you.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nicoleclaire22

Answer to Question 1

C
Feeding a patient is a delegatable task that a CNA can perform. However, once it is reported to the registered nurse that the patient is having difficulty swallowing, this becomes a safety issue that the registered nurse must address. This circumstance is then no longer delegatable for any CNA regardless of experience. The first action by the nurse is to assess the patient and place the patient on NPO status until a primary provider is notified for further orders.

Answer to Question 2

A
You seem angry; what's going on . . . encourages the patient to express his feelings and may provide you with more information. The nurse should not take responsibility for the patient's anger by apologizing (I'm sorry . . .). Advising the patient don't be angry or you shouldn't be angry diminishes the patient's right to be angry.

robinn137

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library