This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is working two jobs, caring for aged parents, and maintaining a household for the family. ... (Read 36 times)

V@ndy87

A client is working two jobs, caring for aged parents, and maintaining a household for the family. The nurse realizes that this emotional stress will have what impact on the client's sleep?

1. More REM sleep.
  2. Less Stage 1 and Stage II NREM sleep.
  3. More NREM sleep.
  4. Less deep sleep and more awakenings during the night.

Question 2

The nurse, seeing a client asleep, turns off the television in the room. The client opens her eyes and says I was watching that. I wasn't sleeping. The nurse realizes that the client was demonstrating which stage of NREM sleep?

1. IV.
  2. III.
  3. II.
  4. I.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaylee05

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Chemical changes result in less REM sleep.
Rationale 2: Chemical changes result in less NREM sleep in Stages III and IV.
Rationale 3: Chemical changes affect deep and REM sleep.
Rationale 4: Stress is considered by most sleep experts to be the number one cause of short-term sleeping difficulties. A person preoccupied with personal problems might be unable to relax sufficiently to get to sleep. Anxiety increases the norepinephrine blood levels through stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system. This chemical change results in less deep and REM sleep and more stage changes and awakenings.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Stage IV is the deepest stage of sleep, and the sleeper is difficult to arouse.
Rationale 2: Stage III is a deeper stage of sleep, and the sleeper is difficult to arouse.
Rationale 3: Stage II is the stage of light sleep during which body processes continue to slow down. The eyes are generally still, the heart and respiratory rates decrease slightly, and body temperature falls. An individual in stage II requires more intense stimuli than in stage I to awaken, such as touching or shaking.
Rationale 4: Stage I is the stage of very light sleep, and lasts only a few minutes. During this stage, the person feels drowsy and relaxed, her eyes roll from side to side, and her heart and respiratory rates drop slightly. The sleeper can be readily awakened, and might deny that she was sleeping.

V@ndy87

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

debra928

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

To combat osteoporosis, changes in lifestyle and diet are recommended. At-risk patients should include 1,200 to 1,500 mg of calcium daily either via dietary means or with supplements.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library