This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has been preparing the diabetic client with peripheral neuropathy for discharge. Which of ... (Read 28 times)

jon_i

The nurse has been preparing the diabetic client with peripheral neuropathy for discharge. Which of the following statements by the client indicates that they need additional teaching?

1. I need to see my podiatrist to have my toenails trimmed.
  2. I will inspect my feet daily using a mirror to see all areas.
  3. I should make sure my feet are thoroughly dry after my bath.
  4. I will wear antiembolus stockings when I get home to prevent my ankles from swelling.

Question 2

The nurse notes that the client with diabetes mellitus that he is caring for has some edema in both lower extremities. The client also has a small open lesion on her right great toe.

The nurse understands that this is a complication of diabetes mellitus and will additionally assess the client's sensation to light touch, pinprick, and temperature to determine if she has:
  1. Glaucoma
  2. Psoriasis
  3. Neuropathy
  4. Dermatitis

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

braelync

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 4
Restrictive stockings should not be worn in order to decrease the risk of impeding circulation to the lower extremities. Clients with neuropathy is at risk for injury to their feet because of im-paired sensation. By examining all areas of the feet daily, the client can identify potential prob-lems early. Thoroughly drying the feet minimizes risk for fungal infections and skin breakdown.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 3
Palpation of the dorsalis pedis and posterior tibial pulses indicates whether adequate blood flow is reaching peripheral tissues. Edema and changes in skin color, texture, and temperature indicate if the client requires special hygienic care. Also check persons with diabetes mellitus for neurop-athy, degeneration of the peripheral nerves characterized by a loss of sensation. Assess the cli-ent's sensation to light touch, pinprick, and temperature. Glaucoma is diagnosed by an eye ex-amination that measures intraocular pressure. Psoriasis and dermatitis are both skin conditions.

jon_i

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library