This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has been taking medication for a month for an atrial dysrhythmia returns to the clinic ... (Read 98 times)

littleanan

A patient who has been taking medication for a month for an atrial dysrhythmia returns to the clinic for a checkup. Which statements indicate the nurse should plan extra time with the patient for additional teaching?

1. Since I can't drink coffee anymore, I have started drinking diet cola in the mornings.
  2. I have found that a glass of wine after work and one with dinner helps me to relax from my stressful job.
  3. We have celebrated several birthdays since I saw you last. I love chocolate birthday cake.
  4. I have really worked at stopping my smoking since I was last here.
  5. My friends and I have found several restaurants in our area that offer good, low-fat meals.

Question 2

The nurse is managing care for a patient with cirrhosis of the liver. The nurse teaches the patient about how to avoid injury that may result in bleeding. The patient asks the nurse why he is at risk to start bleeding.

What is the best response by the nurse?
  1. Because your liver is injured and unable to manufacture platelets.
  2. Because your liver thickens your blood so it is less likely to clot.
  3. Because your liver is injured and cannot make clotting factors.
  4. Because your liver is breaking down your clotting factors too quickly.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ergserg

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Unless the diet cola is decaffeinated, it should also be avoided.
Rationale 2: Alcohol should be limited when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.
Rationale 3: Chocolate contains caffeine, which should be avoided when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.
Rationale 4: Smoking cessation should be encouraged in patients taking medications for atrial dysrhythmia.
Rationale 5: Lowered fat intake is encouraged in patients taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: The liver is responsible for the production of essential clotting factors necessary to prevent bleeding. The liver is not responsible for breaking down clotting factors. The liver is not responsible for making the blood thick. The liver is not responsible for manufacturing platelets.

littleanan

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

kilada

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Malaria mortality rates are falling. Increased malaria prevention and control measures have greatly improved these rates. Since 2000, malaria mortality rates have fallen globally by 60% among all age groups, and by 65% among children under age 5.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library