Author Question: A client who has been taking medication for a month for an atrial dysrhythmia returns to the clinic ... (Read 29 times)

erika

A client who has been taking medication for a month for an atrial dysrhythmia returns to the clinic for a checkup. Which statements indicate the nurse should plan extra time with the client for additional teaching?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. Since I can't drink coffee anymore, I have started drinking diet cola in the mornings.
  2. I have found that a glass of wine after work and one with dinner helps me to relax from my stressful job.
  3. We have celebrated several birthdays since I saw you last. I love chocolate birthday cake.
  4. I have really worked at stopping my smoking since I was last here.
  5. My friends and I have found several restaurants in our area that offer good, low-fat meals.

Question 2

The nurse is providing information for a client who will self-administer a twice-daily antidysrhythmic medication at home. Which client statements would the nurse evaluate as indicating good understanding of this process?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. If I get the flu, I should stop taking the medication until my fever goes down.
  2. I should take my doses as close to 12 hours apart as I can.
  3. If I forget a dose of medication I should take two pills for the next dose.
  4. If I can't take the medication for a couple of days because I am sick, I should call the clinic for advice.
  5. I should get my prescription refilled before I am completely out of medicine.

amcvicar

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Unless the diet cola is decaffeinated, it should also be avoided.
Rationale 2: Alcohol should be limited when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.
Rationale 3: Chocolate contains caffeine, which should be avoided when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.
Rationale 4: Smoking cessation should be encouraged in clients taking medications for atrial dysrhythmia.
Rationale 5: Lowered fat intake is encouraged in clients taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.
Global Rationale: Unless the diet cola is decaffeinated, it should also be avoided. Alcohol should be limited when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias. Chocolate contains caffeine, which should be avoided when taking medications for atrial arrhythmias. Smoking cessation should be encouraged in clients taking medications for atrial dysrhythmia. Lowered fat intake is encouraged in clients taking medications for atrial arrhythmias.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,4,5
Rationale 1: Antidysrhythmic medications should not be stopped abruptly.
Rationale 2: Doses of antidysrhythmic medications should be evenly spaced.
Rationale 3: Antidysrhythmic medications should not be double-dosed to make up for missed doses.
Rationale 4: The health care provider should be consulted if the client is going to miss medication for more than 1 day.
Rationale 5: Abrupt discontinuation of antidysrhythmic medications can have serious side effects, so an adequate supply of the medication should be available.
Global Rationale: Doses of antidysrhythmic medications should be evenly spaced. The health care provider should be consulted if the client is going to miss medication for more than 1 day. Abrupt discontinuation of antidysrhythmic medications can have serious side effects, so an adequate supply of the medication should be available. Antidysrhythmic medications should not be stopped abruptly. Antidysrhythmic medications should not be double-dosed to make up for missed doses.