This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient returns to the clinic for follow up after taking a newly prescribed medication for a ... (Read 32 times)

pragya sharda

A patient returns to the clinic for follow up after taking a newly prescribed medication for a month. The nurse recognizes medication teaching was successful when the patient makes which statement?

1. I've been taking my medication on an empty stomach like the prescription label said to.
  2. I always take my medication with a full glass of water.
  3. I'm not drinking any alcohol close to the time that I take my medication.
  4. I switched all my medications to one pharmacy like you suggested.
  5. I was glad I could take my medications and supplements together. I don't really like to take a lot of pills during the day.

Question 2

A nurse is reinforcing discharge instructions concerning food?drug interactions. The nurse determines that the patient understands when the patient makes which statement?

1. I should take my medications with water to avoid any problems with my medications being absorbed.
  2. I cannot take one of my medications with grapefruit juice because it will decrease the absorption of the medication.
  3. I need to be sure to read the prescription label because the pharmacist will indicate if I need to take my medication with food or without food.
  4. I should take my daily vitamin 2 hours after my medication so they do not affect each other.
  5. If I take my medication with hot tea, it will not affect absorption.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fdliggud

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,4
Rationale 1: Some medications must be taken on an empty stomach. It is important to know if the medication should be taken with food or on an empty stomach.
Rationale 2: Taking medications with water will decrease the chance of an interaction that can occur with other juices or fluids.
Rationale 3: Alcohol can cause adverse interactions with medications.
Rationale 4: Filling all prescriptions at the same pharmacy will assist the pharmacist in comparing current and new medications for interactions.
Rationale 5: It is best not to take herbal supplements and vitamins with prescribed medications to avoid interactions.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,4
Rationale 1: The safest fluid to take with medications is water.
Rationale 2: Grapefruit juice can increase absorption of certain drugs and should be avoided.
Rationale 3: The pharmacist will indicate on the medication label if the medication should be taken with or without food.
Rationale 4: Herbal supplements and vitamins can cause adverse effects when taken with medication.
Rationale 5: Taking medication with caffeine or a hot drink can affect absorption and the effectiveness of medication.

pragya sharda

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library