This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient is receiving spironolactone (Aldactone). The nurse has completed dietary education and ... (Read 55 times)

javeds

The patient is receiving spironolactone (Aldactone). The nurse has completed dietary education and evaluates that the patient needs additional education when the patient makes which statement?

1. I am really happy that I can have my cranberry juice.
  2. Thank goodness I can still have my orange juice and bananas for breakfast.
  3. I need an apple a day to stay regular; I'm glad I can still have this.
  4. I am German, so I could not give up my cabbage and mushrooms.

Question 2

The elderly patient is receiving chlorothiazide (Diuril). What does the best teaching by the nurse include with this medication?

1. Take the medication early in the morning.
  2. Avoid foods that are high in potassium.
  3. It is alright to have a glass of wine with this medication.
  4. Take the medication on an empty stomach.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brittrenee

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Orange juice and bananas are high in potassium, and are contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Cranberries are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Cabbage and mushrooms are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Apples are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Elderly patients should take diuretics early in the morning to avoid nocturia. Absorption of chlorothiazide (Diuril) is decreased when taken on an empty stomach. Chlorothiazide (Diuril) is a potassium excreting drug and foods high in potassium should be encouraged. Alcohol can potentiate the hypotensive effects of chlorothiazide (Diuril) and should be avoided, especially in the elderly.

javeds

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library